You should expect to feel fine after Colonic Hydrotherapy treatment and not experience any unwanted side-effects. Below are a few simple steps to enhance your wellbeing:
- Please follow any specific advice on diet, hydration, supplements or exercise
- We discussed eating a healthy balanced diet please try and slowly incorporate new ideas in to your daily routine
- Do eat regularly, skipping meals will aggravate the body and produce gas
- Three balanced meals per day with fruit, nuts and seeds as snacks will support and help keep your body and blood-sugar balanced
- nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Healthyeating.aspx is a good place to start to help you find information to support a healthy balanced diet
- bbcgoodfood.com has endless seasonal ideas.
- YouTube has some great inspiration and tutorials just as an idea look at Jamie Oliver’s Family Food Tube.
- Pinterest also offers lots of inspiration and recipes under different genres, healthy, breakfast, speedy suppers etc.
- weightwatchers.co.uk is also helpful if you wish to lose weight in a healthy balanced way. This is prescribed by GPs. They have some great foodie ideas. They treat food as, ‘Calories in, Calories out’ – all foods can be eaten in moderation. No food is taboo! Balance is everything – even indulgence.
Be mindful of your choices of protein: vary red meat, white meat, fish and vegetarian meals. White meat and fish and vegetarian meals are much easier to digest.
You are advised to drink up to 1.5 Litres of plain, room-temperature water per day. The urgency to urinate will pass after 3-4 days and your body will absorb most of the water.
Only eat whole grains, e.g. oats, brown rice, wholemeal flour and bread, and whole meal pasta. Avoid poor-refined white flour products, e.g. white bread and pasta.
Beans and pulses have a high fibre content and are a valuable part of your diet. Introduce them into your diet carefully and slowly to avoid excess gas.
Fruit and vegetables are your friend since they help keep the bowel soft and are an invaluable source of vitamins. Try and follow the recommended 9 portions per day: 3 fruit portions, split up during the day, perhaps as snacks; 3 vegetable/salad portions with lunch and 3 vegetable portions with dinner.
Try and keep a good variety of both fruit and vegetables in your daily diet instead of the same ones all the time. What’s cheap in the supermarket is often what’s in season. Different varieties have different qualities – all of which our bodies enjoy and which prevents you from getting board.
Some water is absorbed during the colonic treatment and so you may notice an increased need to urinate today but this will subside quickly during today.
Avoid rigorous exercise and weight lifting for 24 hours after treatment.
Avoid alcohol for at least 48 hours following treatment.
On occasion, if you had been suffering from a prolonged period of constipation or several health problems, a headache, fatigue or a gripping feeling in the lower abdomen may be experienced after the first few treatments.
If this is so, try and rest and drink plenty of warm water. In some cases, you may still feel slightly bloated for a few hours after the Colonic Hydrotherapy, as the displaced gas makes its way out of your body. If this is the case, have a cup of peppermint or camomile tea and lie down with a hot water bottle for a while. In very rare cases, tiredness can persist for a few days as the body continues to detoxify itself. In these cases, we recommend another Colonic Hydrotherapy treatment to accelerate the detoxification process.
Don’t expect a bowel movement the day after your Colonic Hydrotherapy treatment. Depending upon your personal circumstances, it may take several days for normal bowel movements to resume.
Herbs and Probiotics
If you have been advised to take, or have been given Herbs or Probiotics, you are encouraged to return to review your bowel health and to discuss any further changes.
All health products recommended by the Practice need to be reviewed on a regular basis and should not be used as an alternative to a healthy, balanced diet nor taken constantly.
If you have been advised to buy Digestive Enzymes or Probiotics (Ecogest), these can be purchased online from The Natural Dispensary (www.naturaldispensary.co.uk) or call 01453 757792.